Thursday, April 14, 2011

Where can I find a good hair stylist?

Two weeks before my 4th child was born I got the worst haircut of my life. People throw the phrase "worst haircut of my life" around pretty loosely. But trust me, this was traumatic. It was not one of those "haha, you look silly haircuts." Nor was it one of those, "oooh, yeah, well, it'll grow back." No, this was one of those every- time- I- look- in- the- mirror- I- want- to- cry haircuts. (oh I cried for at least the first couple hours afterward... I'm sure the hormones that come with 9 months of pregnancy didn't help)

I had a gift certificate to a nationally known beauty salon/cosmetics store. It starts with a U and ends with an A. I should have just gone with my instinct and used the money to buy some good moisturizer for my elbow skin or some minty foot exfoliant or something as equally benign, but no, I got the haircut. I let a complete stranger cut my hair just days before I would go through one of the most photographed moments of my life to be quickly followed by a Baptism and two major holidays. It looked a little like this... ( And I am sure this is a very nice young man, and he is very happy with his hair)












It was a "not smart" moment.

I was humbled that day, and a month or so later I trodded off to my regular hair stylist. I tucked my tail between my legs, begged her to fix it, (if she could), and vowed to myself never to wander so far from common sense ever again.

What has this got to do with moving to Poland you ask? Well... everything! For goodness sake, if this has taught me anything it has taught me that I can't just let any old stranger cut my hair. At the store that begins with a U and ends with an A they speak English, and I came away in tears, I can't even imagine what will happen in Poland.

Martin assures me that there will be no problem, and of course he's right. They have plenty of hairstylists there who speak English. And even if they didn't, I have been assured that no English words common in the American haircut world like "trim" or "layers" are false cognates, really meaning something like, oh, I don't know, "please shave me bald," or "hot pink is my absolute fave."

I'm not too worried. I may still have to have to look around a bit though, before I find someone I can trust, and that's why I am glad that places like this exist... (if you make it as far as 2:18 let me know what you think of that style for my boys...)




P.S. This post inspired by my new "do" just picked up this morning by my lovely, trusted stylist, Andrea Richardson... thank you Andrea!

8 comments:

  1. Damn you, Olivia! I was totally ready to finally go to bed at this lat hour and then I glanced at my feed and saw that dang picture and I HAD to read this. OHMYGOD....I am laughing so hard my sides hurt! "And I am sure this is a very nice young man, and he is very happy with his hair" Holy schnikeys! And the false cognates....

    Breathe...

    Breathe...

    I'm seriously so glad you started this blog. For realz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's so nice of you to say Dwija, and extra high praise since it's coming from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah.. I was supposed to be going to sleep too... Instead I'm reading this blog, it's becoming addictive ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finding a good hair stylist is very easy as there are number of hair salon who are providing the service of treating the hair which is not only helping to keep the hair healthy but, it is also helping to do different hair style for different occasions.

    While surfing on internet, I came across a site named as The Changing Room who is providing the service of treating hair and hair care products which suits for the treatment of hair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great pleasure reading your post.Its full of information I looking for and I love to post a comment that "The content of your post is awesome" Great work. Best Hair Salon Mississauga

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know your projects stand out of the herd. There is something special about them. It seems to me all of them are really brilliant!
    hair cut mount kisco

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Guys
    This is an usefull blog for haircut Topic.I have something that i want to share,For most people, Did you know that hair cuts featured in the top style magazines and style books have been chosen specifically for each model that sports them. But if you want a hairstyle that sports you you should take a look at-Hair cut
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello everyone
    i would like to thank the admin for posting this awesome blog, i would like to share the goal of a taper haircut.The goal of a disconnected cut is to sharpen up and “clean” up the hair bulk on the sides and back of your head. Ergo, a rapidly-tapered hair length needs to be achieved on these areas of the head (sides and back) so that the hair bulk is only concentrated on the top of the head.Read more at-taper
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete