Tuesday, May 24, 2011

If you don't get to skip school...

... then there is no point in being sick.


It's all about perspective

I woke up this morning
my head in a vice
my throat stuck with needles
my feet wrapped in ice.

What's for breakfast?"
They're asking
"We're hungry
Please feed us."

Eggs and toast? Pancakes?
Oh, who am I kidding?
"Here's some leftover doughnuts
and some water for drinking."

My neck is so stiff
my joints are all aching
my temperature is rising
with every step I am taking.

"What's to do?"
They are asking.
"We're bored.
Play with us"

The park? A museum?
Arts and crafts can be fun.
Oh, who am I kidding?
"Here, Thomas is on."

The chills start to creep in
my eyelids are drooping
I have to lay down
I'm too tired for sitting

"What's for lunch "
They are asking.
"We're starving!"
"Please feed us."

Ham and cheese? Macaroni?
Oh, who am I kidding?
"Grab the Goldfish, the cheddar,
open it up and start eating."

I can't swallow, can't eat
no appetite in sight
My teeth are all gluey
my tongue fat and tight

"What can we do now?"
They are asking.
"Our show is just over,
How 'bout we watch another?"

It's bad for their eyes.
Their brains will go numb.
Oh, who am I kidding?
"Here, put this movie on."

The dishes are piling up
out of control
The laundry is starting
to cover the floor

"What's for dinner"
they're asking.
"We're hungry."
"Please feed us."

Fried chicken and veg? A casserole?
Oh, who am I kidding.
"Which cereal you want?"
"Can you get your own bowl?"

I can barely lift the toothbrushes
"No book reading alright?"
say prayers , lights out
"I love you goodnight."

But wait

"What's the matter mommy?"
They are asking.
"Are you sick?"
"Please tell us."

With a smirk and a nod I ask,
"how could you tell?"
Then they all say together
"We've never had it so well."













No comments:

Post a Comment