Monday, December 31, 2012

Christmas and New Year greetings

For our first Christmas in Poland I will simply quote Ma Ingalls with, "All's well that ends well."

The Advent season started out rough, that's true, and it got rougher still. But in the end we had a lovely Christmas Eve, an even lovelier Christmas Day, and have been dwelling in the suspended bliss of no work or school for an entire week now. 

I gained a new sense of independence and confidence, out of frantic Christmas shopping necessity, and it was glorious. I got to attend an English Mass, which we haven't made it to in a couple months, and that was also really nice. So much like home to be able to follow along, understand the Homily and pray with everyone in my native language. My one and only Christmas gift under the tree was an entire series of one of my favorite shows. I cried a little when I opened it. Martin and I used to watch reruns in the evening back in Austin at the end of a long day, and it's nice to have this little escape again. Santa knows me very well. He also knows that I needed some sort of winter shoe so I don't slip every which way from the parking lot into the grocery store and beyond. Done! New winter shoes (I chose myself)! Nothing fancy or pretty but entirely functional, just like I like it. The boys received bikes, which neither of them know how to ride, and I am excited to teach them. And Lina has stepped into the expansive and expensive world of Sylvanian Families/Calico Critters. They have all spent hours playing with them, so it's slowly paying for itself. Kacio was just happy to be a part of everything. Martin and I spent several evenings chatting long into the night while baking over 12 dozen cookies (all from the same recipe) to give to family as gifts. They are all asking for the recipe, so I guess they were a success. And we had some good quality time to talk over some important decisions our family will face in the future. 

I am hopeful that this new year will bring the beginning of construction on our new house, a new understanding of the Polish language for me, and of course, little surprises for everyone, which have yet to be seen.

Tomorrow is our last day to have Martin off from work and the children will slowly start resuming their studies, but all in all, this much needed break was fruitful and, in the end, peaceful. Which is all I was really hoping for.

I hope the same can be said for all of you. You have all been so helpful and encouraging over these past couple months. Even going so far as to send me personal emails of understanding, which have helped me to know that I am not alone and better yet, that I'm not crazy. Thank you.

I am wishing you all a (belated) Merry Christmas and a Happy start to the New Year!

11 comments:

  1. I guess you have to have a bad day to better appreciate a good one... Happy that your Christmas turned out so well.

    Wishing you and your family a fantastic new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the same to yours! A big year for your family!

      Delete
    2. Yup, yup, yup... slowly getting prepared. It will be a milestone year with the move - Plus turning 30 soon, marking a new decade. A little nervous (mostly about $$ issues as I'm not sure if I'll stay at my current corporate job working remotely... which i both love-hate... or jump fully to self-employment), but i guess that's normal.

      Did you guys end up sending a container of things or just the car by itself? It seems that some things are cheaper and/or higher quality here in the US, especially if found on a deep sale. Cars, flooring, furniture, clothes seem to be better to take from here. Anything you regret not shipping with you that's hard to come by or any tips?

      Delete
    3. Hmmm...good questions. I am going to write a post to answer it!

      Delete
  2. Wishing you only the best. Happy New Year:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just waiting to read a post about your first polish Christmas! I knew it would be nice :o) I miss it every Christmas - the rich heritage of singing Koledy ( did you learn any?) the food and customs etc. My husband and I baked a lot of polish cookies this year so it satisfied the craving some :o) I am glad you are optimistic about the New Year with all its possibilities. Blessings to you and your Family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping to write about all of those things along the way but I was so sick the week before Christmas that it all kind of happened in a rush. Maybe I will still write some of it up. We did make some of the traditional foods, sang Koledy (luckily I have been singing them every year with Martin's family in Austin, so I knew quite a few). Thank you for the blessings! The same to you and your family.

      Delete
  4. I am very happy that everything was good for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, every day is better than the last. Very hopeful!

      Delete
  5. Yay! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Also, I'm dying to know WHICH "entire series of your favorite show" you received for Christmas... that's kind of a critical detail, you know ;)
    Also, also, when are we going to have a Skype date?!

    ReplyDelete